Taj Mahal is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. It is India’s pride and one of the most beautiful Mughal Empire architectural pieces. It is situated in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, standing augustly at the banks of river Yamuna. It attracts more than seven million tourists from all over the world every year. It was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in the loving memory of his third wife, Noor Jahan. Taj Mahal is the biggest tourist attraction in the country because of its beauty, architecture, and design. Love birds love to visit this monument of love. It is also included in world heritage sites by UNESCO
If you’re thinking of heading to the Taj Mahal and you’re not sure how much luggage do UK airlines allow to India, check out the article at ashineurope.com.
Surprising facts to know before visiting Taj Mahal!
Taj Mahal’s history is full of astonishing facts which makes the trip Taj Mahal more exciting for the tourists. Some of the surprising facts are:
- Shah Jahan built this majestic monument after his third wife died in labor. His wife Mumtaz Mahal was about to give birth to the emperor’s 14th child when she died.
- The four towers surrounding the tomb of taj mahal, better known as minarets, build away from the main tomb than usual. The towers are slightly bending outwards. This was done to increase the safety of the monument as if any one of the minarets falls; it will fall away from the main structure rather than crashing into the tomb and destroying it.
- You need to dress appropriately if you visit the mosque situated in the Taj Mahal. Every visitor needs to show respect while visiting it because it is an active religious place of Muslims.
- There is a popular and long-standing myth that emperor Shah Jahan cut off the hands of the architects and artists who build taj mahal so that they could never create such a mesmerizing piece of art again. It is terrifying to know how brutal Mughal emperors were, but there is no reliable evidence to prove this myth.
- A considerable amount of time and patience resulted in this awe-striking monument. It took an estimated 22 years to build Taj Mahal, and small changes and refinements continued after that.
- There is the main chamber in the middle of the Taj Mahal, and it is the place where emperor Shah Jahan and his wife Noor Jahan are buried. They are buried in a simple, plain crypt because, in Islamic tradition, decorating graves is strictly prohibited.
- The exceptional architecture and design attract tourists most. There are millions of engravings on the walls of the monument. A total of 28 types of jewels and precious stones are set on the marble. Gemstones from all over the world are used like turquoise from Tibet, jade from China, etc. The beautiful white marble was specially transported from Rajasthan.
Visiting Tip: Visit Taj Mahal when it is a full moon, Taj mahal shines as soft moonlight showers on it, and it is an eye candy to watch.
To conclude, Taj Mahal is a must-visit for everyone. It is a landmark of architecture, creativity, and talent. The serene and peaceful aura will fill your heart with nothing but love.